Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Capturing Fans - TGI Fridays

Yesterday was much too long. Between three of the longest appointments in history, two cranky little tots, and a husband that needs to understand that leaving your plate near the sink does not qualify as "cleaning up after yourself", I was pooped at the end of the day! So I traded my super hero cape for some bunny slippers and slid as low on the sofa as I could go! Ahhhh.

As I sat there, I was reminded of a similar day, last summer that gave me a dejavoo feeling... right down to the bunny slippers and the rather large glass of wine I had poured (did I not mention this)?!

I flipped on the TV and of course found nothing that I wanted to watch. So... I channel surfed. Then... I saw a TGI Fridays commercial that I had not seen before. What captured my attention and what I find worthy of sharing with you (all 13 of you), is that I (the social media queen) was motivated by a free burger. I don't know if I was in a haze after a long day and a giant glass of vino, but I actually found myself thinking of logging on to facebook to "fan" Woody. Woody is a fictional character that TGI Fridays has created and hoped would receive 500,000 fans by 10/30/09. If that goal was reached, each new "fan" would get a free Jack Daniels burger.

You can see why this campaign not only worked, it was a huge "win" for them and has since been copied by countless others. Think about it? Countless people became a "fan", because, well... "why not get a free burger, right?". All it takes is a click of the mouse. No big deal! Even if they had missed there mark, how many new "fans" do they now have in their direct marketing universe. Genius!

The power of social media shows it's might once again!

Well that is it. I have to get back to work now. Just some thoughts for the day.


Paparazzi Marketing = Social Media Marketing

1 comment: