Thursday, April 29, 2010

Taking It To The Streets - A Paparazzi Marketing Success Story

Hello all ~

I really try to make this blog about social media and not about us, but when I received this phone call yesterday, I had to share it! It really brought a warm feeling to my heart.

One of "my" clients (I personally work this account) called to thank me for saving her business! I was really thrown for a loop when I heard the sincerity in her voice. I tried to joke it off and told her that only she could "save" her business and that by simply taking action (hiring me) she was the one who received full credit for her success! She stopped me, mid sentence, and said - NO! She wanted me to know how grateful she was to have us on her team! Again, I was wowed! It is not often that I hear this. People do acknowledge my efforts, but rarely with this kind of zeal. She (and she will know who she is - MADE MY DAY).

This is a woman who I met on one of my many trips to S. California (I, the author of this blog, live and work in Colorado). We were at the same event and we just started chatting. I asked her what she did for a living and she told me that she designed and made children's clothing (mostly for friends and friends of friends). She is a mother of three and really needed the extra income that this business provided and wished that she could do it more. I, being who I am and not being able to help myself, asked her how she "marketed" herself? She told me that since she was a small company, she used primarily "word of mouth". She had tried to put an ad in a children's magazine, but it was costly and didn't really yield her much. I then steered the conversation towards social media and the viral effect it can have. By the end of our discussion, she was "sold" and ready to give it a try.

Well, 9 months later she has more orders than she can fill (this is a good problem to have), is being looked at by a very large retailer, and has the security of knowing that she CAN DO THIS on her own.

She is "the proverbial little guy" who is competing with... no dare I say out selling some of the established companies in her area! All because she took a proactive approach and embraced the changing times! Great job!

This is the power of the social media people! Sure it takes effort, (more than just placing an ad and hoping people will respond or even see it)but if done correctly and consistently, it will work!


This is it for today! I need to get to "work"


Paparazzi Marketing = Social Media Marketing

No comments:

Post a Comment