Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Twitter - Is it worth your time?

I can't believe how often I hear the word Twitter throughout my day anymore; from restaurants to CNN news media, they all want me to "follow them" on Twitter. I can't complain, as I too want the same thing, but how worth our time is this growing trend?

If used effectively, it can be a phenomenal tool. But anymore, I feel that I am "tweeted out". Too many people selling too many things all at once. I get pseudo - exhausted every time I log on. So what is the solution?

I would recommend using Tweetdeck! Why throw out the baby with the bathwater? Very important or useful tweets can get lost under all of the "noise" that is out there. Tweetdeck allows you to effectively screen out the people and noise that you don't want to hear on an hourly basis. It can help you sort through all of your stuff. For example, it will put business contacts into one box, friends into another, news stories into another, etc... .

Really, I don't know if I could go on using Twitter without some way of "managing" all of the information that is thrown at me simultaneously. Do I really need to know that my 17 year old niece just painted her toes Steele blue while I am at the office? Yes, at some point, after the day is done and I am sipping my 2ND glass of vino, I may care. But not now!

Bottom line, like any other form of social media - use it WISELY and it will become a great "tool" in your tool belt!

That is it for now.... time to get to work!

Social Media Marketing = Paparazzi Marketing

1 comment: